Friday, May 13, 2016

NICU WEEK 5...

WEDNESDAY, APRIL 27th:
Lola has broke the 5 pound mark! This is big in the preemie world. By the time of her due date, she may be well over 8 pounds. Lola is now on a low flow cannula. We keep hoping one day it will click for her to breathe. We are terrified to bring her home on an oxygen tube as Dexter will constantly rip it out of her nose.

Today was Lola's first time doing non nutritive breastfeeding. I pumped before hand so I wouldn't drown Lola with my oversupply of milk. She surprised the lactation nurse and latched her first time and started sucking. She did this for maybe 15 minutes and then fell asleep as milk went in her feeding tube.  Breastfeeding for a preemie is comparable to us running a 5k. It wipes them out and is hard work.


THURSDAY, APRIL 28th:
Tonight, we did a test weight with Lola to see if she gained any breastfeeding. She sucked just as well as last night, so we decided to see how much she was transferring. I had completely pumped again, so I wasn't expecting her to gain anything.

The Occupational Therapist came to work with us to see the miracle of a 34 week baby breastfeeding/latch on. (It is uncommon for babies this early to want to breastfeed.) Since Lola did so well with sucking this morning, she latched but did not suck well for the OT. Lola didn't gain any weight this time.

FRIDAY, APRIL 29th:
We did another round of non nutritive breastfeeding. Not much change, she sucked well though again. We will keep practicing!

SATURDAY, APRIL 30th:
Instead of completely pumping this time, I just pumped for a few minutes. Lola latched again and she actually ate! We did a test weight again and she gained 9 grams (equivalent to 9ml). She fell asleep and then took the rest of her feeding through her feeding tube.

Now, I need to be at the hospital two times a day to breastfeed Lola. I will go I'm at 11am and 5pm. She is, what one of the nurses referred to, as a "champion sucker"! Because she gained weight, we will now start nutritive breastfeeding.

Lola is still on oxygen. It is a lot hard work to suck and swallow, so the oxygen helps her to not work so hard so she can rest and sleep. Sleeping is vital to the growth and development of their brain.

MONDAY MAY 2nd - TUESDAY MAY 3rd:
Lola is now 5 pounds 7 ounces. Because she did so well her first time nutritive breastfeeding, she is now having a harder time breastfeeding. Breastfeeding for a preemie is the equivalent of a 5k for us, so it wears them out! It can make them a tired for a days. However, we still breastfeed and the goal is to make it a positive impact for Lola.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.