Saturday, November 9, 2013

Festival of Trees and a Hospital that Gives...

This month marks the upcoming year of when I had my second spinal fusion.  I received my first spinal fusion when I was 13, about twelve years ago.  Having a straight, fused spine, has been difficult!  But, I'm proud to say I have gotten through this trial.  When we first found out I had scoliosis, I was just this young girl who had no idea what kind of ride I would be in for.  I didn't know the extent of how serious a crooked spine could be.

I remember my parents researching and finding a specialist.  I remember going to appointments after appointments.  At first, the scoliosis was just something minor that we would keep on eye on.  But, after each appointment, my spine starting curving even more until I had a S-shaped spine.  Literally, it was in the shape of a S.  I had 2 curves.  The doctor then "prescribed" me to wear a back brace, which at first was exciting.

All of this was happening when I was in the 6th grade.  I remember I made all the boys believe that I had abs of steel.  I think that is the only claim to fame I had back in my elementary/middle school days. Other than that, the back brace probably ruined my chances for popularity.  But, none of that matters in the grand scheme of this story.

I had my surgery at Primary Children's Hospital and said some hilarious things while I was drugged up.  I was in the hospital for a week.  I also missed school for a month.  I don't remember a lot about the nurses and the doctors because I was young and didn't understand much.  Though, this last surgery I had was a real eye opener.

I came home from an LDS Mission a few months early because my back was bothering me.  I learned that my lower curve, which wasn't fused, was worse.  It looked like a question mark.  Not only was it curved more, it had twisted.    I was scheduled to get surgery at Primary Children's Hospital.  I was 24 years old.  My stay at PCH was great.

Because I was older, I was more observant at everything going on.  I could not have had better nurses or doctors.  This is why I'm participating in Festival of Trees.  I want to give back to the hospital that gave to me.  My tree is called the Neon Twist and I need some help putting it together.  Pictured below is what I want my tree to look like.  I already have a tree donated.  But if you would like to donate ornaments, bedazzling things to help make my tree look spectacular, or some spare change, please contact me!  My email is meeshmonson@gmail.com.

Help me give back to a hospital that gives.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.