Saturday, August 10, 2013

Married Life...

I have been married before and it didn't end well.  I won't go into details of that previous marriage, though I will say, being married to Derek Afton Nielsen is so much better!  From day one, he has opened any door for me, stayed by my side as I walked slowly day to day recovering from surgery, he cooks with me, listens, we never argue, etc.

The only adjustment I have a had hard time getting used to, and Derek can probably say the same, is sleeping in the same bed.  He informed me, that last night, I almost kicked him out of the bed...literally. He tried to sleep with my knee in his back and my elbow in his face.  Someone told me, "We just got a California King Sized Bed and it saved our marriage!"  I can see Derek and me saying something similar in 5+ years when we can actually afford a new mattress. 

I think it's common in most newly wed marriages to be poor the first couple years.  I have to say that I'm glad I get to be poor with the husband!  I'm glad that I get to learn to budget with Derek and learn new things every day with him that help us become closer.  

A couple days ago, as we were refinishing our end tables for our bedroom, Derek knocked over a can of paint.  The paint got all over the carpet and I was really upset!  Derek tried to help, though I knew if he did, he might have made it worse.  He felt so bad as he watched me clean it up.  I knew that I would be able to clean it up with a little dish soap and warm water...I was just frustrated that I had to spend 20 minutes doing so...although, a few days later I was laughing about it and I came to the realization that I'm so glad I married someone imperfect, who makes mistakes...I make mistakes too.  It is so nice knowing that Derek and I can make mistakes together, yet grow together as well.   


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.